NFSN announces new Chair Person

Following last week’s NFSN meetings in Derby the Executive are delighted to announce that Terry McDermott, Chief Fire Officer of Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service has agreed to take over the reins as Chair of the NFSN from Iain Cox. The proposal was put to the 35 plus delegates at the Members Meeting on 21st October and unanimously agreed. I have no doubt that Terry will bring his undoubted dynamism to bear in taking the NFSN forward after Iain’s successful stewardship over the past six and a half years. Iain intends to remain as a member of the NFSN Executive and we thank him for his wise and safe guidance of the NFSN during his time as Chair. Steve Mills Secretary

Manchester Flour Mill save: 7th October 2015

At just after 09:30 on Wednesday 7th October, Greater Manchester F&RS mobilised five appliances to a report of fire at Rank-Hovis flour mills in Trafford Park, Manchester. The managers at the site reported a very rapid fire service response. On arrival, fire was observed in machinery in the pellet press area and ducting on several levels. It is reported that hose-reels were used to extinguish the fire(s). Fire-fighters were greatly assisted as 7 heads activated on the mill's sprinkler system , as did fire dampers in the locality, contributing significantly to controlling the fire prior to their arrival. Due to the combined work of the active systems and fire service actions the plant is rep

Bolton plastics factory 21st September 2015

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a factory fire in Bolton after a machine caught alight. The sprinkler system at Bolton Plastics on Lever Street activated when a fault on one of the machines started the blaze just after midnight. Fire was contained by the sprinklers and two workers, who were on the premises at the time, temporarily evacuated the building. The blaze was finally extinguished by fire crews, who were at the factory for an hour, and damage was confined to the machine.

Woodbridge converted workhouse flats scheme 15.9.15

On 15th September a fire occurred at a flat in a block of 26 incorporated into a former ‘work house’ in Woodbridge, Suffolk. The vulnerable resident had been smoking in bed and then gone through to the kitchen where he had an epileptic fit. The bed subsequently caught fire due to smoking materials. Nearby residents were alerted to the fire by the alarms. (both Smoke and Sprinklers) A single sprinkler head operated and fully extinguished the fire before the Fire Brigade arrived. Fire Brigade personnel had to break into the flat to gain access, finding the occupant unconscious in the kitchen following his seizure. Although somewhat ‘shell shocked’, the occupier said he was very pleased with

Sprinkler Save: Sheltered Housing London Borough of Croydon: 14 September 2015

London Fire Brigade advise that a sprinkler system in a flat in an 'Extra Care" sheltered housing scheme owned by the LB of Croydon successfully operated to extingush a fire in a kitchen unit. The fire occurred when an electric toaster had ignited a tea towel in close proximity. The occupant was asleep at the time. Responding fire fighters alterted by the waterflow alarm connected to the building's fire detection system evacuted the resident. This is one of six such sheltered schemes in Croydon which have been retrofitted with sprinklers following action by LFB after concerns following fire safety visits prompted intervention in the form of retrofitting automatic fire suppression. An LFB sen

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2015 by NFSN. All rights reserved.

Website Designed by Anna Leeds Web Design