© 2015 by NFSN. All rights reserved.

Website Designed by Anna Leeds Web Design

Search

Sprinkler save at Southampton Student Block


At just before 1:30 pm on Sunday 16th November 2014 a fire occurred in a microwave oven in a student flat on the 10th floor of Richmond House, a mixed height non-cluster type development in Southampton city centre.

One sprinkler head activated due to the fire and the 215 occupants were safely evacuated. Fire damage was reported to be limited to 10m² in the affected flat.One issue that arose was that staff were unsure as to the location of the stop valve which meant a delay in turning off the tank and pump fed water supply to the sprinkler system.

The NFSN urges all users of buildings which have sprinkler systems to familiarise themselves with the location of sprinkler isolation valves which should only be operated by fire service personnel once they are assured that the fire has been extinguished.


4 views
Parkside Block,Mobility Scooter on 8th Flr Landing inv (25).jpg