Sprinkler system saves Portsea Flat: August 21, 2017
A first-floor kitchen fire was extinguished when a building’s sprinkler system activated.
Crews from Southsea Fire Station were called on Saturday to a fire in the high-rise flat in Harbour Ridge, Queen Street in Portsea.
The incident took place just months after the Grenfell Tower tragedy in London and following Hampshire Chief Fire Officer Dave Curry’s call for sprinklers to be fitted into all high-rise buildings.
He said, “Time and again, sprinklers have been proven to prevent the spread of fire in buildings and drastically reduce the threat to life.
“In Hampshire, we are working with all high-rise building owners and landlords to ensure all of these structures are inspected and that residents feel safe in their homes.
If you live in a high-rise building and want more information visit the high-rise safety page on Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s website