Northampton shopping centre 9.2.15
Northamptonshire FRS reports that at 01:45 hours on Monday 6th February 2015 they received a call to a fire in a maintenance room at the Grosvenor Shopping Centre in Union Street, Northampton.
The fire is understood to have started when heat from a workman’s grinder set fire to wooden shelving in the maintenance room. Fortunately, one sprinkler head on the Ordinary Hazard, mains fed sprinkler system, operated within the room of origin to control the fire. Fire-fighters wearing breathing apparatus and using 1 hose-reel were then able to extinguish the fire. Damage from the incident was limited to the room of origin only.
The 7,000m², 3 storey building, valued at over £10million was occupied by 20 persons at the time of the fire. None was reported injured in the incident.