Newly installed Fire Safety System saves Sheffield resident : 9th January 2016
A recently installed fire sprinkler system, at a Derby street address in Gleadless, Sheffield, activated following a mobility scooter fire, allowing the elderly resident to escape without serious injury.
The mobility scooter, parked outside the front of the top floor property, burst into flames shortly before 6:00am due to an electrical fault. The resulting fire then spread to the front of the building causing the front windows to break and allow the fire to spread inside the building.
The fire sprinkler system activated, extinguishing the fire and limiting damage to the front of the dwelling, when fire crews arrived the fire was all ready under control.
The interior of the property was relatively undamaged by this very severe fire.
The fire sprinklers have been retrofitted in the 540 ranch style properties as part of a ground breaking initiative by Sheffield Council to improve fire safety in the properties, supported by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.