Grantham commercial hatchery: 17th May 2016

Sprinkler save at Grantham hatchery : 17th May 2016

At 04:39 hours on Tuesday 17th May 2016, Lincolnshire F&RS received a call to a report of fire at a commercial hatchery in Grantham. Two fire appliances from Grantham Fire Station were mobilised.

The seat of fire was discovered to be a commercial tumble dryer with a laundry at the hatchery, the alarm having been raised by the automatic fire alarm.

The fire had developed sufficiently to also activate the sprinkler system, with a single head nearest to the tumble dryer operating automatically to control and contain the fire, preventing it from spreading from the dryer.

F&RS personnel were able to extinguish the fire using a CO2 extinguisher and they sent the 'stop' message at 05:13.

The room in question is of sandwich panel construction and without the sprinkler activation it is thought likely that the fire would have spread from the dryer to the room panels and possibly beyond to the full factory.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Follow Us
No tags yet.
Search By Tags
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square