Private dwelling, Medway, Tamworth, Friday 31st March 2017
Sprinkler save in single private dwelling, Medway, Tamworth, Friday 31st March 2017
At 01:23 on Friday 31st March, Staffordshire FRS mobilised an Officer and an appliance from Belgrave to a house fire in Medway, Tamworth. Being close to the border with Warwickshire the second appliance and an Officer were mobilised from Polesworth.
The fire was in the lounge on the ground floor caused by a discarded cigarette, which ignited some paper and plastic Tupperware container. The occupants consisted of an elderly couple and their disabled grandson who was 25 years old and bedbound. The property was fitted with working smoke alarms which raised the alarm. The male who was sleeping upstairs heard the alarm and went downstairs where his wife and grandson were still asleep. He took the grandson outside and then came back for the female prior to the arrival of the FRS.
In 2014, a tank fed sprinkler system had been retro fitted by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service after collaborative work with stakeholders. A single sidewall sprinkler head activated and extinguished the fire, leaving crews using 2 BA and a hose reel to ‘dribble’ water on the last few embers. All three occupants were taken to hospital by West Midlands Ambulance for precautionary checks.